-
May 27th, 2008, 04:23 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Ok, What's this designed to do, that isn't accomplished by a traditional looking Mantaray?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-VIR-CONSTA...mZ160244440482
-
May 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
#2
Inactive Member
-
May 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Holy Cow, how do you guys find stuff so fast? I've got to get rid of dial-up!
-
May 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM
#4
Inactive Member
ESP.
Should I answer your next question now, or wait till you ask it?
-
May 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Bummer. Wonder if it was this crash-n-burn on 5/15 in Georgia?
How's your liquidation going Charles?
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 27, 2008 03:37 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>
-
May 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Charles, I don't think I will ever sell my extra pair of 931-12's, I just like them so much. Nothing else has the 10 degree axis offset, which allows you to aim them vertically. The pair I have has no scratches and the silver accent line is perfect. I have 6 in all, and only "one" of them has the little Mantaray label. The glue must not hold very well, or maybe they didn't even have them.
I think many people won't like CD horns IF they bi-amp without CD EQ enabled. They don't beam much, so the highs roll off quicker. Passive xovers are special (with EQ) for them, too.
I would like to install the 994's in a cabinet, but they are 23" wide and very deep!
Brad, huh? What about an antenna pointing North??? I don't understand your post.
Richard C.
-
May 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM
#7
Inactive Member
No biggie Richard. When you said you supposed I already knew of your desire for a VIR, I thought you were referring to my ESP comment. Since I didn't remember you wanting one, I came up with the ESP "antenna" gag, which seemed funny at the time, but somehow lost its' edge since then.
I'm still curious what you have in mind for the VIR.
-
May 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM
#8
Inactive Member
OK, you're antenna isn't pointed towards Atlanta? Yeah, the antenna gag went right past me. I didn't know it would help ESP...
I don't get called a Yankee much any more (only in fun), because there are so many transplants down here.
I just thought the combination short & long throw pattern might be something fun to play with. JBL calls theirs "defined coverage" in the Everest series. The Vari-Intense horn looks very similar.
Richard C.
-
May 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
#9
Inactive Member
I've gotta work on my delivery. Wasn't calling you a Yankee (the antenna's stuck facing North remember?). And yes, my comments along those lines are (usually) only in jest as well.
I've no experience with 'steered' horns, at least anything more drastic than the 931s. From what I've read, it sure appears that they'd be largely limited to the specific app they were designed for, ruling out many GP home apps. The JBL versions look like they'd have the same problem, but anyone that can afford them could easily build an appropriate room for them.
As to the 994s, I really like mine (in the M500s). I've got an extra pair of 3154s if you want to build a pair of them. Either biamp them with CD EQ, or I could pull one of mine down to draw the stock XO which has switchable CD EQ. Have an extra pair of boxes too, but they're pretty ratty, with a bit of dry rot. Thought I'd put together a 2nd set if I ever came across the 994s, but that's so far down the list...
-
May 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Brad, I suppose you already knew that I wanted one of those Vari Intense Mantarays.
I first read of these years ago when downloading files from the "REAL" Altec Lansing Pro website, before they shut it down. I would like to hear the smaller JBL version that is used in high end home speakers, and is turned sideways to cover the listening area "better".
I have several 931-12's and two 994 Mantarays for an upcoming project. Apparent apex problems are not so much with these models.
Richard C.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks